skip to main content
Andrea Guice Staff Photo

Other Class Info

Subjects Taught  

Program Challenge/Advanced Content Math Grade 7


Education  

Gifted Endorsement

Masters in Middle Grades Education - State University of West Georgia 

Bachelor of Arts in Middle Grades Education - State University of West Georgia 


Biography/Experience  

I have been teaching in public education for three decades.


Remind Advanced Content 7th  

Sign up for math class reminders with Remind.  The texts you receive will keep you informed about homework and other class information.  

Advanced Content 7th Grade Accelerated Math classes

For text reminders text:  @ae3g93 to 81010.

For Email reminders:  email to   ae3g393@mail.remind.com


Syllabus 7  

7th Grade Advanced Math         

Andrea Guice

Douglas County mathematics curriculum is based on the Common Core Georgia Performance Standards (CCGPS). See web address: www.georgiastandards.org.

 

Grading Policy

In 7th grade advanced mathematics classes tests/projects count 35% of a student’s grade while classwork,homework and participation account for the other 65% of the grade.

Students are expected to give 100% EFFORT on each assignment. The level of expectation will vary based on the skill and  where we are in the development of that skill. When a new skill is introduced there may be a level of uncertainty and/or confusion. However, as we work with skills, students are expected to work toward mastery.

Grades are available through Infinite Campus on an ongoing basis. Please visit the Douglas County School System website for more information (www.douglas.k12.ga.us). If you have problems signing up, please contact Mrs. Shackelford in the media center for assistance.

 

Behavior Expectations

Students are expected to follow all school and class rules and procedures. Because of the nature of the course, self-motivation is essential to the success of students. Students need to remember that their behavior choices affect the learning of others.

 

Attendance

Attendance is very important! If a student is absent he/she misses the experience of developing understanding by working on the problems and class discussion of key concepts and strategies. When a student returns from an absence it is vital that they check for any work that was turned in or assigned on the day absent.

 

Assignments

Students are expected to TRY every assignment given in class. The only way to be a mathlete is participate. Just like an athlete, a person will never get better at math sitting on the side line.   Students are expected to SHOW WORK. When doing this your student is learning to explain their reasoning, which is part of the learning process and will aide them as they continue through their math careers.

 

Homework Policy

Homework is assigned to reinforce the skills introduced in class and to apply those skills in real-life situations. All homework assigned must be completed to the best of the student’s ability each day. If a student fails to attempt all problems in an assignment, a “INFRACTION NOTIFICATION” sheet will be sent home in the agenda for you to sign and return to help keep you informed.

 

Calculators

Students will  use calculators in class or on homework on selected assignments throughout the year when computation is not the skill being assessed. Students will take the spring end of grade test in April. This test  permits the use of calculators on certain portions.

 

Communication

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns during the year. The primary form of communication is the agenda. Daily assignments and other important messages are also sent to students and their parental units through REMIND. If you have had the opportunity to sign up for these text reminders you can still do this. Please feel free to write notes in the agenda or email me at Andrea.Guice@douglas.k12.ga.us.

 

       The Best Getting Better, Whatever It Takes!

 

 


Syllabus 8  

8th Grade Math  

Andrea Guice

The Douglas County mathematics curriculum is based on the Common Core Georgia Performance Standards (CCGPS). See web address: www.georgiastandards.org. Upon completion of the 8th grade, students will have worked with many skills previously taught in higher-level math courses such as Algebra I and Geometry.


Grading Policy

In 8th grade mathematics classes tests/projects count 30% of a student’s grade while classwork, homework and participation account for the other 70% of the grade.

Students are expected to give 100% EFFORT on each assignment. The level of expectation will vary based on the skill and where we are in the development of that skill. When a new skill is introduced there may be a level of uncertainty and/or confusion. However, as we work with skills, students are expected to work toward mastery.

Grades are available through Infinite Campus on an ongoing basis. Please visit the Douglas County School System website for more information (www.douglas.k12.ga.us). If you have problems signing up, please contact Mrs. Shackelford in the media center for assistance.

 

Behavior Expectations

Students are expected to follow all school and class rules and procedures. Because of the nature of the course, self-motivation is essential to the success of students. Students need to remember that their behavior choices affect the learning of others.

 

Attendance

Attendance is very important! If a student is absent he/she misses the experience of developing understanding by working on the problems and class discussion of key concepts and strategies. When a student returns from an absence it is vital that they check for any work that was turned in or assigned on the day absent.

 

Assignments

Students are expected to TRY every assignment given in class. The only way to be a mathlete is participate. Just like an athlete, a person will never get better at math sitting on the side line.   Students are expected to SHOW WORK. When doing this your student is learning to explain their reasoning, which is part of the learning process and will aide them as they continue through their math careers.

 

Homework Policy

Homework is assigned to reinforce the skills introduced in class and to apply those skills in real-life situations. All homework assigned must be completed to the best of the student’s ability each day. If a student fails to attempt all problems in an assignment, a “INFRACTION NOTIFICATION” sheet will be sent home in the agenda for you to sign and return to help keep you informed.

 

Calculators

Students will use calculators in class or on homework on selected assignments throughout the year when computation is not the skill being assessed. Students will take the spring end of grade test in April. This test  permits the use of calculators on certain portions.

 

Supplies

Students will be graphing plenty of data this year, so graph paper will be used frequently. Colored pencils and a ruler will also aide in the construction of the graphs.

 

9th Grade Placement

Students must be successful in middle school passing at least four of their five academic classes to be promoted to 9th graded.   The second requirement of your student in regards to math is that they must pass the 8th grade math end of course test to be promoted to the 9th grade.

 

Communication

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns during the year. The primary form of communication is the agenda. Daily assignments and other important messages are also sent to students and their parental units through REMIND. If you have had the opportunity to sign up for these text reminders you can still do this. Please feel free to write notes in the agenda or email me at Andrea.Guice@douglas.k12.ga.us.

 

The Best Getting Better, Whatever It Takes!